Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Follow Your Own Path


"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives." --Henry David Thoreau

There are a plethora of path quotes and metaphors to explore, but my guy Thoreau comes through for me yet again. As I write this, my back and shoulders ache and a certain throbbing in my feet are all indications of the path I took this past weekend. I built one between and around my vegetable beds. I'm quite proud of it. And except for the cost of my 14 stepping stones (about $8 each) and my six bags of gravel ($4) and the weed cloth ($15), it was rather a modest expenditure. To line the new beds, I used found materials--fallen branches and milky quartz stones.

Now, dressed for work this morning, I easily navigated the foot path to water my rows of lettuce growing in my lasagna garden (no, for the last time, I'm telling you, there's no sausage or pasta involved). The Putterer

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those steps are adorable. I hope to get you some real toads to hop along them.

    ReplyDelete